Friday, July 22, 2011

Read and Remember!

     We are more than half way through this year of “surrender” at the Valley. At the beginning of the year we made our own commitments to pray, read, sacrifice, serve, and belong. Many of us made the commitment to read through the entire Bible this year. How is that commitment going for you? Have you continued in the commitment you made to the Lord? I hope so.
     I am sticking to my commitment to not only read through the Bible this year, but I have also memorized more Scripture this year than ever before. In fact, I have memorized Psalm 1:1-6, Psalm 27:13-14, Isaiah 53:1-12, Philippians 4:8-9 and now I have memorized Philippians 2:1-11. This is a text that we are supposed to be memorizing together. Have you memorized Philippians 2:1-11? If not, why not?
     Memorizing Scripture serves several purposes. First, it allows us to meditate on God’s Word throughout the day. Second, while we are praying we can pray Scripture. Third, it is much easier to call Scripture to mind when talking with someone who could benefit from it. I cannot tell you how many times God has used specific Scriptures I have memorized to speak into someone’s life. Finally, it gives us a hunger to know more of God’s word.
     If you have not memorized Philippians 2:1-11 yet, I challenge you read it, meditate on it, memorize it, pray it, and share it with someone else. You will be blessed.


Be biblical. Be faithful,

Greg Edens

1 comment:

  1. "Have you memorized Philippians 2:1-11? If not, why not?"
    I have not. Why? I keep saying not right now, but later I will. After this, after that...

    I took an alternate route home from church today to drop off a friend. I was able to read the other side of a sign that I have often passed. It quoted Martin Luther,

    " How soon "not now" becomes never."

    I don't want my "not now" to become my never. Also , I told myself this was a priority. Is it really a priority if I am not doing it????

    Today...TODAY.. I am going to start memorizing this scripture. I am going to read it, speak it, write it, post it as a status , post it throughout my house....whatever it takes I WILL memorize this scripture because IT IS a priority to me to know the word of God.

    Have a blessed week!!!

    ReplyDelete